Tuesday 24 January 2012

Belgian Loveliness

For the last few years, my best friend and I have wanted to go to Belgium. We both love beer, we both love chocolate, we both love Christmas Markets and we finally got our backsides into gear this year and booked it.
We went on the Eurostar, leaving St Pancras, I think I may have mentioned this, but its my most favourite train station, which I enjoyed even more when we arrived early one December morning and enjoyed a champagne breakfast before boarding our train to the continent.
We spent a night in Bruges, I've always wanted to go since seeing the film. It was such a pretty little place. We discovered Rose Hoegaarden, Fajita flavour Doritos, that adding amaretto to anything is amazing (mulled wine, hot chocolate, coffee) and that walking 366 steps up a spiral staircase when other tourists are coming down is tricky, but I'm sure you'll agree from the pic below that it was well worth it!!!


We then boarded a train back to Brussels and spent two nights here. It was much bigger than I had expected and we took it so leisurely that we missed loads of things out, including the iceskating! My friend was desperate to go, but neither of us are the most graceful and I anticipated one of us would be returning home with a broken ankle.
We had a fabulous continental breakfast with the best waiter ever in the cutest cafe. I also ate moules marinare, and I could still taste the garlic from this three days later, it was toxic!!! There was a fabulous light show to music in the Grand Place at night and the top photo is of this, it was spectacular!
Loved Belgium and loved going with my friend, which is just as well as we're off to New York together in April!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment